Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Have You Ever Had That Moment....

Have you ever had that moment?

That moment when your life became clear? You knew exactly what you wanted in your life. Not just career or love. But your entire life came together. Like the pieces of a puzzle.

My life defining moment came on August 13th, 2007. That isn’t when my life came together like a puzzle. But it is when I see that my life started to change. I hate to see my life divided by this moment, the before and after of losing this important person. But it is. For a long time after this day, I felt lost. My compass was gone. But finally, the 500 pieces of the puzzle fell together. My compass points north again. I’m headed in the right direction.

Family is more valued in my life. My family dynamics have changed, but my family is important. Whether it be my sister (my only actual relative in my family) or my friends (the family I choose), I value each person in my family. You are all there for a reason. I’ve heard it said that you can’t choose your family. I don’t believe it. You may not be able to choose the family that you are born into, the family that raises you and starts you into adulthood, but you can certainly choose the family that you go through adulthood with. I feel that I am amassing a family that I value the thoughts and opinions of.

My career is something that I have always felt was a set in stone path. Recently that path changed. Into something I could never imagine. Something that, when I tell people, they say, “Wow, I never realized it, but that is an amazing career choice for you.” That is enough for me to ignore all the naysayers. I will do this. And I will rock it. “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”

My love life is something to learn from. If they had “Love for Dummies” I would own it and every new edition available. Unfortunately love is about learning where you went wrong. And I have gone wrong in lots of places. I’m just praying that God puts that special person, the one that makes you feel that you are the only person on earth, the person that wants to buy you a house, just so you have a place to call home. I want that person but when it’s time. They will come. Until then, I have lots more mistakes to make, I’m sure.

So, the moment, when your compass points north, when the 500 pieces of the puzzle fit together. It took 24 years for mine to happen, but it happens. It’s the proverbial light bulb. The moment of breathtaking clarity. You will know it, when it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment